Monday, 3 February 2014

Monday Training (10k run + chest/abs)

Day 6 of antibiotics in my system, 1 day to go.

Over my dead body was a going to go more than a whole week without running again.  Until tonight, the last time I ran was last Monday, so had I not run tonight it would have felt like a disaster.

On the walk back from the station at 5:30pm to home, I had a tad of a coughing fit and I was a tad bit worried if I'm honest but I thought if I take it really slowly to start with, wearing the full ninja mask to muffle the cold air coming in, I thought I'd do a pretty good job of controlling it...and so it proved.

Two quick pumps of my Ventolin pump (Subutamol for those wanting the medical name), a quick Olbas Pastille jammed in the mouth, ninja hat on and I was gone.


I started slowly. Take a look at the splits... 

First three miles I took it relatively easy but then when I realised the body and especially the lungs wasnt reacting to the exercise, I started to wind the pace up as you can see.  From 3 through to 6.2  the pace increased.  The last 1.2 miles I felt pretty good if I'm honest.  So technically, thats the first ever proper negative split I've run.  Wasnt intending to but its the way forwar! Had to clear the throat a couple of times but no coughing of any description.  A quick double pump of the subutamol at the end and I was done.

Spent 10 minutes stretching out.  Important after not running for a week.  Quads, hamstrings, calves, groin.  Since coming back from the last bout of man flu, I was getting considerable discomfort in the front of my quads but the week off has probably done me a favour as the niggle has cleared itself now.

Went upstairs into the flat and hit the swiss ball and weights...
  • 10 x 20 SB ball sit ups + 20 SB sit twists.
  • 10 x 10 chest press with 9kg dumbbells + 10 chest fly.
 Must keep up the work on the abs :)

Very pleased with tonight considering I was down in the dumps about my health earlier.  Three hours later as I type this up, I've had no ill effects so all good in my eyes.  It will be interesting to see how I fare tomorrow morning.

(Edit: no coughing on waking up at 6:40am the next morning either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment